When a dispute regarding any technical issue associated with buildings arises it may be necessary to obtain independent technical assistance to settle matters by reference to an independent referee, who may be an adjudicator, arbitrator or judge. 

Each of these has different roles although it is a judge acting through the court system who may have the final authority. Since these referees are normally legal experts they need the assistance of technical experts who can act independently for each party or be nominated by both parties to act as a joint expert.  It is important that any expert, no matter who instructs them or who pays their fees, has a legal obligation to be fair and honest and has an overriding duty to the court.