What is a Smart Port?
Smart Ports leverage the power of digital and intelligent information technology to create an intuitive, connected asset that is focussed on productivity and efficiency for each and every aspect of the port during its entire lifecycle.
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) harnesses smart and sensor based intelligent devices across the port, utilising Bluetooth, WIFI hotspots, WLAN, cloud, and mobile technology collecting Big Data to support and inform machine-to-machine (M2M) communication and automation.
The success of a Smart Port is reliant on the integration of all its infrastructures, along with the ability and willingness to share data and adopt emerging technologies to better inform and streamline the operational process. This requires the ability to connect and share secure data from numerous sources via a secure collaboration portal.
Extending the IIoT outside the port to capture and link internal movements with live transport information adds a further dimension to the optimisation of a port operation, affording the operator opportunity to proactively plan trade flows.
Waldeck are able to support clients in the structuring and communication of strategic information and implementation requirements, comprehensive master planning, engineering design, asset capture and visualisation of a port to ensure that each and every activity and resource is analysed and optimised.
By combining our experience as market leaders in the field of Building Information Modelling (BIM) and digital strategy with real world ports experience, we are able to take a strategic level viewpoint in order to develop Smart Port’s for clients. From the outset, our approach is to establish a technology map for the data capture and analysis systems of the project, around which the communications and physical infrastructure is developed.
Fundamental to the success of our approach, already existing IT platforms are analysed and interlinked to create added value from this information and give logistics services providers, hauliers and agents the opportunity to choose the most efficient mode of transport for their goods. To achieve a fully integrated solution, all key Stakeholders in the port play a role during the engagement process where our team of experts look to understand, compile and analyse the available existing information; accordingly, Waldeck’s expertise in engaging stakeholders to strategically align their data and information requirements is a key differentiator.
Benefits of a smart approach include:
- Improved analysis for management and prediction of arrivals, departures and available space
- Identification of bottlenecks as they appear
- Creation of plans which meet equipment, berth and storage-facility constraints
- Reduction of vessel idle time and turnaround times
- Maximum utilisation of assets, equipment and infrastructure
- Optimisation of space across a number of ports, achieved through collaboration throughout the supply chain
- Scenario modelling and simulation of the impact of future events
- Understanding of spatial constraints and availability
- Increased security through continual site and product surveillance from Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
- Tracking of commodity’s during their time within the port
- Enhanced control of product flow
- Increased customer base
Find out more
Interested in finding out more about Smart Ports?
Get in touch with our experts by calling 08450 990285 or email us here.