Cavendish Nuclear – Strategic BIM for Nuclear Decommissioning
Traditionally, our nuclear client had been working predominantly in 2D, and understood the growing need for the use of BIM to create digital models that were not only beneficial for the construction phase of a project, but also the maintenance, operations and decommissioning of a facility through the inclusion of data management and asset tagging.
In partnership with Cavendish Nuclear, Waldeck have been providing strategic BIM advice to a major UK nuclear plant to help achieve long-term efficiency savings.
Waldeck’s BIM consultants have provided expert contribution to a strategic paper for a client, together with Cavendish Nuclear, as part of a large focus group for the major UK nuclear plant. The document, which engages with key stakeholders, explains how the client can implement BIM to ensure effective Enterprise Lifecycle Management, thus providing long-term efficiencies, enhanced safety and generate considerable cost savings in projects and programme streams.
As part of the select focus group, Waldeck have assessed the client’s current status and BIM capability from project to operational level, outlining how to achieve efficiency savings through implementing a fully digital solution.
In order to successfully deliver this, Waldeck’s bespoke services included:
- Advising on business benefits available through the optimised use of BIM within new plants, and technical and cultural considerations during the transition
- Making recommendations on up-skilling core members of the client’s in-house team
- Outlining Asset Information Requirements (AIRs) which will benefit the whole lifecycle
As a result of Waldeck’s contribution, benefits to the project include:
- Enhanced opportunities for CAPEX and lifecycle savings through clear instructions on how to implement a digital approach to client assets.
- Greater efficiencies across the facilities 60-70 year life span, with approximately 20% OPEX savings through improved maintenance.
- Reduced risk and improved safety for the entire project lifecycle from cradle to grave.