Premier Foods required the refurbishment and re-modelling of an existing fifty year old 800,000m2 derelict facility which has a reinforced concrete barrel vaulted roof constructed by Christiani & Nielson in 1957.
As part of our Civil and Structural Engineering scope within the project, our team carried out specialist concrete condition survey as well as design works for new walls, food-safe panels, a liquid membrane roofing system, new floors with resin finishes, and drains.
The project included the provision of six new 20m high powder silo bases and an extension to the existing packaging warehouse. All the construction works were designed so that they could be undertaken whilst the existing production facility was still live.
Due to the location of the site and the presence of an aquifer in the underlying geology, it was necessary to liaise and agree the substructure solutions for the new build aspects of the project with The Environment Agency.
The existing reinforced concrete structure was assessed, tested and re-used in the design to support new production plant and access platforms which resulted in a reduction in construction time and a seven-figure cost saving for our client.